University of Entre Rios
APSIM Advanced Training Workshop, Oro Verde, Argentina
31 Jul - 2 Aug 2019
Dr. Octavio Caviglia and I conducted a 3-day advanced modeling workshop at the National University of Entre Rios. This workshop aimed to introduce the basics to run APSIM using real case studies from Argentina. The workshop included more than 15 participants (graduate and postgraduate students and INTA researchers). The main topics addressed were:
- Introduction to crop simulation models, modeling phases, spatial and temporal scales, statistical analyses.
- Model complexity, model parameterization, and evaluation, sensitivity analysis and model intercomparison e.g. APSIM vs. others biophysical models such as DSSAT, STICS.
- Minimum data requirements for model simulation.
- Modelling single crops, crop sequences, and long-term rotations. Factorials and scenario analysis.
Initial discussions about future collaborations and PhD student interchange between organisations
Host Researchers in Germany
Dr Octavio Caviglia
National University of Entre Rios
- APSIM Potato model development - Mapping potato yield variability under diferent G*E*M scenarios in Tasmania
- Towards high crop productivity in agriculture based on multi-scale modelling and climate change impact studies
- Improving the representation of soil productivity/constraints in existing DSS and modelling platforms
- Uncertainty decomposition in crop models
- bestiapop - A python package for climate data extraction and processing